Saturday, September 13, 2008

Nickle Dickle Days!

Today was the 47th Annual Nickel Dickel Days celebration in Waconia, MN which is about an hour from my house (if you include all the road construction detours - so annoying!). Although this celebration has been going on for 47 years it was my very first time to attend. What made me interested? The news that "Mementos", a scrapbooking store, was having a HUGE paper sale! If you read my previous posts you know that I'm addicted to paper, so when I heard about it there was no doubt that I wanted to go.

I went with two good scrappin' friends and we arrived there around 10:30 a.m. The town of Waconia was packed and we had to look long and hard to find a place to park. Since it was raining we were happy to find a spot in a nearby parking lot.

The deal was that for every piece of patterned paper you bought you got the second sheet for 5 cents!! That's right, 5 cents - a nickle - just like the name of the celebration! Here's how much paper I bought:



I'm not sure if this picture tells the true story, but trust me when I tell you that I bought a lot of paper, and a few other things too! It was a successful shopping trip followed by lunch; doesn't get much better than that.

Or does it??

On our way home we decided to make a stop at JoAnne Fabrics in another nearby town. I needed some more folded cards & envelopes to make all of the new cards I want to make with all of my new paper. We all found a bunch more stuff to buy there including some really fun ribbon and a paper stack called "Harvest & Holiday" by Debbie Mumm (love her!). Yes, we actually bought more paper. It was another successful stop; doesn't get much better than that.

Or does it??

On our way out of town my girlfriend noticed that "Lillian's" was open. Lillian's is a specialty store that sells adorable purses, billfolds, sunglasses, etc. Since they are only open a few weekends a month it's sometimes hard to get there. We saw lots of cute things and managed to buy even more. Now we have lots of craft supplies and some new accessories; doesn't get much better than that.

Or does it??

Yes, we actually did more shopping! I don't even like to shop, except for craft supplies! There's a really nice scrapbooking store just two doors down from Lillian's so as long as we were that close we had to drop in there too. We all managed to find a few more things we needed - yes, needed - and then we really did go home. A really fun day spent with friends; doesn't get much better than that.

Or does it??

Just kidding! No, it really doesn't get any better.

Now that I'm home and I've organized and put away all of my purchases it's time to get back to work. Can you guess what I'm working on now?



I have about a million ideas in my head of things I want to make with all of my new paper, so off I go!

1 comment:

Andrea Rooks said...

Oh my gosh, that sounds like so much fun! My mom was in town at the end of last week, and we drove 20 minutes to Pismo Beach and the only scrapbooking store within a 150-mile radius. Congrats on all the great purchases...
PS your Etsy banner and avatar look great!