Saturday, February 28, 2009

Why I love Mexico, part 1

I've been back from vacation for a week now and I'm finally getting back in the swing of things, including blogging. This is the first in a series of posts about why I love Mexico, watch for parts 2 and 3 in the next few days. After this series I'll get back to posting about crafts!

I'm going to start with reason #3 and work my way up to #1.

Why I love Mexico - reason #3

The food! It's not only the food, it's the food experience. We always stay at all inclusive resorts, and they have many food options. You can eat at one of the buffets, at the snack bar by the pool, or at one of the many restaurants that are included in the package but require reservations.

The snack bar by the pool has awesome fries, burgers, nachos, pizza, etc. It's great because you can go right from the pool without the hassle of getting dressed, and as lasy as I tend to get on vacation that is a good thing.

We ate at three different restaurants at the resort this year - Italian, Mexican and Japanese. My favorite was the Japanese restaurant, which involves sitting at a table with a grill in the middle while the chef prepares your meal with lots of fanfare. The appetizer was sushi, and it was so good! That was followed by fried rice which included having the chef fry an egg and then launch a small piece from his spatula to your mouth, if you can catch it. My piece went right down my shirt. Ahem. After the rice we had a choice of shrimp, beef or chicken. I chose the shrimp and it was awesome! We were fortunate to get seated with a couple from Paris and their 4 year old daughter. Their english was limited but we managed to have a great time with them.

All of the food at the restaurants is very beautifully presented as shown here:



The resort also featured a great ice cream parlor, located on the roof of a building with wonderful view of the ocean. I'm not an ice cream fan in real life, but somehow it tastes great in Mexico! Here a picture of my banana split:


We ate dinner in Playa del Carmen one night and had the best enchiladas! The refried beans were also very good, and the whole dinner cost about $11 per person. That includes an ice cold Corona!

Check back for Why I love Mexico - reason #2.

No comments: