Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Snow, Snow, Go Away!

Here in Minnesota we had quite a snowstorm over the weekend which means that I spent a few hours shoveling when I really wanted to be crafting!

This is what my driveway looked like when I started shoveling at 8:15 am on Saturday:

You might wonder why I was up and out shoveling so early in the morning - on a Saturday!  Well, there was a method to my madness.  I figured that all of the people that have plows on their trucks would be out bright and early plowing out driveways and parking lots, so my chances of having someone feel sorry for me out shoveling and coming to plow me out was much higher in the morning than in the afternoon.  See, makes sense, right?

This is how deep the snow was - we got 8 - 10":


I know!  In case you are wondering, I held my camera down near the ground in order to get this shot because I figured it would be dramatic.  It worked!

Along with my camera I had the other tools of the trade:

Yep, a shovel and a cup of hot coffee.  That, along with a camera, is all a girl needs.

I shoveled and shoveled, and every now and then I would wave my arms in the air trying to attract attention.  When that didn't work I tried laying down on the driveway pretending to be dead, and then I tried tying a white towel to the end of my shovel and waving that in the air.  Nothing worked . . . so I just kept shoveling.  I was nearly done, just a few feet from the road (and the big, icky, hard as rock chunks of snow the snowplow leaves behind) when my knight in shining armor - also known as my mom - stopped over.  We chatted for a minute and then she drove in to town, tracked down a good friend of mine that was out with his plow and sent him over to help me.  He cleared out the end of the driveway (thanks Darrin!) and then I just had to do the sidewalk, a path to the dog and then the dog's kennel.

Here's the driveway, all done!

And here's the finished sidewalk:


My last task was to shovel around the mailbox, because the mailman really doesn't like it when he can't reach the box, and we all know how important mail is!  I was across the road working on that when a man drove up on a tractor - turns out it was one of my bus drivers from way back when!  Gotta love living in a small town!  He yelled, "let me do that for you.  I hate to see an old lady work so hard.".  Huh!  Oh well, I wasn't going to argue because by that time I was kind of tired and ready to quit.

Once all of my shoveling was done it was time for some crafts.  I'll post a few craft photos tomorrow.

NOTE:  I didn't really take any of those drastic measures to get help, but now that I've thought of them I might try them next time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you had a SHOVEL to do all that work!!