Monday, May 9, 2011

Craft project gone wrong.


Before I had the notepad idea (shown in my previous post) I thought I would cross stitch music notes and then put them in small wooden hoops to give as gifts.

I started by finding a music note online, copying and pasting it into word, then sizing it and printing it out.

Next I used some graph paper and traced around the music note and then filled it in with x's to make a cross stitch pattern.

I made a couple of mistakes with this project:

First I assumed that one x on the graph paper could be one cross stitch.  Because I chose 18 count Aida cloth (very small squares) following the pattern exactly would have meant that my finished product was one very, very small music note.

Second, once I realized this was a problem I tried to "wing it" and just make up the pattern as I went.  Not a good plan!  I should have re-done my pattern rather than trying to guess.

My third and final mistake was thinking this was ever a good idea!  In the end I decided it just wasn't that cute, so I scrapped the project and moved on to Idea #2, personalized notepads.  I think that was the right decision!

It's hard to give up on an idea, but sometimes it's just the right thing to do.  How about you?  Have you ever started a project and realized it was not a good idea?  Share your story in the comments so we can all learn from each other!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A dog portrait "painted" in old buttons. I still have it - almost finished - but it was just a bad idea.