Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Yes, I am a hand model!


So many jobs, so little time! You may already know that my day job is in Human Resources at a local manufacturing company. You've probably noticed that I have stores on Etsy and 1000 Markets, so you could easily guess that my second job is crafting. You most likely don't know, however, that I have a third job. It's not full time, it's hardly even part time. It's more like a once in a while kind of thing. My third job is being a hand model!

The above photo comes from my hand modeling portfolio. Ok, I don't really have a portfolio, I just have a few .jpgs of my work. The opportunity to model came through my day job. Our company produces an annual catalog that is mailed out to our customers. Some of the items we sell are distributed products, so we buy them from a manufacturer and sell them. In that case, they provide the photos for the catalog. However, we also manufacture many of our own products, so then we need to create our own photos. We have a small photo lab where our Senior Designer photographs the products, and sometimes he needs models. Many of our employees have modeled products (we manufacture items for hospital rooms and nursing home rooms) but I am the only hand model.

It's fun and a unique opportunity and affords me the chance to use the phrase, "I can't, I'm a hand model" when asked to do something that I don't want to do like lift heavy things or steer a pontoon through a channel (if you don't live by lakes that may not make sense to you, but if you're from Minnesota it's a completly normal thing to do!).


If you are a Seinfield fan you may remember when George got a job as a hand model and he wore gloves all of the time and made a big deal about possible injuries to his hands. I don't take it that far, although I do wear gloves when gardening and I do live by the motto:

Don't break a sweat or a nail

It's not easy being me!

2 comments:

Andrea Rooks said...

That is so cool and so random! I've never known a hand model but I've always envied the hands in catalogs -- they're always so perfectly well manicured, and yours are no exception!

Anonymous said...

I am so lucky to have such a famous mom!