Monday, May 24, 2010

She's been busy

Sorry for the lack of posts lately; life has been busy.  When you work full time you really look forward to lazy, relaxing weekends - at least I do.  However, they seems to be few and far between.  Week after week I look at my planner and think the weekend looks pretty open, and then one thing at a time gets written down and pretty soon my whole weekend is booked.  This past weekend was no exception.
I did make time for crafting though, mostly because I had deadlines to meet!  Here are a few of the things I was working on.


Saturday morning I went to a bridal shower which was billed as a "container shower" meaning that your gift, rather than being wrapped, should be presented in some type of container.  I had an idea in mind from something I had seen on Elisa Blaha's blog (see link on the right) which involved using cookie cutter letters from the first name of the bride and the groom.  I looked around locally (not to hard I admit!) and didn't find any so I ended up ordering them on line.  Ideally I wanted letters that just fit inside a heart shaped cookie cutter, but I didn't find that so I improvised.  I bought two different heart shaped cookie cutters thinking that I would use whichever one worked best, but when they arrived I realized that I could use both of them!  I tied the letters and shapes together using baker's twine and then attached them to a cookie sheet.  In order to make it a bit prettier I covered the bottom of the cookie sheet with paper and then decorated it a bit.  I was pretty happy with the result; there were a few flaws but I'm not going to point them out to you!!  It was a fun, easy project that I will definitely do again.

The other project I spent time on this weekend involved these:


Yep, graduation cards!  I don't know what it is about graduation cards but year after year I sit down to make them and have a complete creative block.  This year I had orders for cards so I needed quite a few and I wanted to make a variety of cards, so I sat down with a Card Creations magazine that I recevied as a gift and paged through it for ideas.  As usual, I didn't end up making any one card just like in the magazine, but I used bits and pieces from different cards and I ended up being happy with the results.  I'll take photos and post them here so you can see what I came up with.

I mentioned in my last post that I listed a few new things in my shop.  Here's one of the items:


This is a handmade envelope that holds 17 little cards, one cuter than the next!  They can be used as journaling cards or page accents, or even make them into gift tags.  The pail in the photo is not part of the item, but isn't it cute??  Check out my shop and read more about this little set.

1 comment:

Andrea Rooks said...

Lovely fun projects! I love the shower gift -- so creative and useful and personal :)

I, too, crave lazy weekends. This past weekend was a wonderful around-the-house weekend because we had to stay at home and wait for my new writing desk to show up :) It forced me to get to all the closet reorganization projects I've been wanting to do for over a year! And my desk was well worth the wait...

Happy Wednesday -- I hope all's well.