Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Got sand?


I'm back from Florida, and I had such a great time.  We were in Ft. Meyers, in south Florida, and I'm happy to tell you that there wasn't any oil although we certainly heard a lot of talk about it.  Now that I've been to some of the beaches in Florida and met so many nice people living there the whole situation in the Gulf of Mexico seems much more personal to me.

I had never been to the Gulf of Mexico before, and WOW is all I can say.  It is so beautiful!  It's also very HOT in June, which is really no surprise and makes going to the beach the perfect activity - every day.  We visited a beach on Sanibel Island and one in Naples and they were both beautiful.  The beaches were dotted with brightly colored umbrellas that added to the beauty of the sand, water and sky.


We also visited a farmer's market and bought some wonderful vegetables to make fresh guacamole and salsa.  The vegetables at the market looked so pretty spread out on tables; lots of bright colors.  There were also wonderful, brightly colored flowers that made their way home with us!


We made dinner one night which included fresh grouper, new potatoes and onion bread.  We bought the potatoes and bread at the farmer's market and they were wonderful.  Dessert was very good too - finger bananas (from the market), chocolate wafer cookies and macaroons.  Yumm!


It was just a great trip; one I will never forget.  I didn't intentionally bring sand home with me but some managed to get in my suitcase!  I also found it stuck to the bottom of my sandals and in my swimsuit!  It was such fine, white sand that I think I'll be finding it for a while.

Now I have a new project to work on . . . I have lots of ideas already.  However, first I need to make 60 birth announcements so I better get to work!

No comments: