Sunday, August 8, 2010

Etsy Reading List


I was so excited today to click on the Etsy Community page and see one of my items featured!  I like to see what's going on in the forums, which is where I was headed today.  I clicked on the Community Page and then clicked on the Forums tab just click, click, really fast.  As the Community Page flashed before my eyes I thought I recognized one of my photos, so when I got to the Forums page I quick clicked back.  Sure enough, there was my photo of my Library Pocket with Typewriter right there on the Community Page!

Any time you can get extra exposure on Etsy it's a good thing, and this is the first time one of my items has been featured by Etsy admin.  The lesson I learned from this is that taking creative photos is definitely worth the extra time.  I've mentioned before that taking photos is one of the hardest parts of listing an item on Etsy, simply because it's hard to get photos that accurately depict your item.  You need to worry about lighting and clarity and you also want the image to be interesting.

I typically just take pictures of my items with a white background, but recently have started adding "props" to make the photos more interesting.  In the case of this photo, I used books in the background, which made the picture suitable for an article about reading.  YAY me!

I also want to congratulate my Etsy friend Andrea Rooks from RooksPaperScissors, who recently had one of her items pictured on Etsy's front page.  YAY Andrea!

1 comment:

Andrea Rooks said...

I'm so glad you found your photo and solved the mystery of the increased views :) I was just thinking about that... And thanks for the shout-out ;)

The typewriter library pocket cards now work especially well on my desk with my new vintage library card-catalog drawer that I'm using as a stuff holder :) I'll photograph it one of these days...