Sunday, September 18, 2011

Sewing 101

I've been working on putting my Week in the Life album together, slowly for sure.  As a reminder, I documented one week in my life with photos and journaling back in July along with Ali Edwards and lots of other scrapbookers.

As I started laying out my album I decided to make 4 journaling cards for each day; one for each of the following:
  • gratitude
  • favorite moment
  • overheard
  • observations
I typed all of the journaling and cut the cards into the size I needed to fit into my page protector, which is a 9 pocket protector like a baseball card page protector.  Once I had them all printed and cut I decided to sew a line on each journaling card as an accent.  This required me to get out my sewing machine.  I would consider myself a novice sewer.  I have made a few aprons and one chef hat (I needed help with that!) and I once made myself a dress - a maternity dress.  By the time I had it done I was far too pregnant to fit into it, but I did wear it home from the hospital.

Because of my lack of experience this is what typically happens when I start sewing:

That's the instruction manual that came with my machine, and it gets a lot of use.  My struggle this particular day was the bobbin; for some reason I could not get it to work!  I tried many times (see the pile of thread up inthe left hand corner of the picture?) and then I consulted my manual and eventually figured it out.

I got my sewing done as you can see in this photo.  My goal wasn't to have perfect looking straight lines, I wanted them to look kind of messy.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it!  I decided to put the four journaling blocks all together in the same place for every day of the week.  That could change as I continue to work on the book.


When I pulled one of the journaling blocks out of the page protector to sew on it I accidently pulled out the photo behind it and didn't realize it until I had done the sewing.  So now this photo has the back side of my sewing efforts on it, which certainly wasn't my plan but I can live with it!

I will continue to share my album as I work on it . . . I hope to eventually get it done!  I think once I get a plan in place it will go quickly, but as usual the plan it taking a while.

1 comment:

peggys said...

Looking forward to seeing the completed album when we get together to scrap:)